Teachers are busy, busy, busy. We are overwhelmed. We have trouble fitting everything in. When James & I taught third grade, we did not have enough time to cover the standards, meet our TKES (GA Teacher Evaluation System), and make our students our number one priority. After struggling with what to do, we realized that leveling texts was a way we could ensure we were meeting our students needs....along with all the other teacher stuff. So, Bow Tie Guy was born and we began researching, writing, and differentiating passages. We were thrilled to see the success in our own classrooms. Our students loved ditching the outdated textbooks that were written way too high for many of them anyway. Our administrators were happy to be able to visually see our differentiation as part of our teacher evaluation. Enough about us. Let's talk about you!
Why should we use leveled texts in the content areas?
A sample of what is included in each of our passages is below. How easy to insert these levels right into your lesson plans as proof of differentiation!
$Why should I purchase differentiated reading passages from BTG&Wife?
• Textbooks aren't what they used to be...if we have them at all. Often textbooks are written well above grade level and simply aren't interested. I use my love of history to make passages engaging and informative for all levels of readers!
• Teach across the curriculum! Show your administration how you integrate and differentiate by implementing during guided reading groups, center time, or in a regular social studies block
• Perfect for last minute print & go sub plans, morning work, & homework
• In my own classroom, they are often used at the end of a unit for review, as study guides, and even test prep
• Have students with accommodations? Instantly assess them at THEIR LEVEL while meeting IEP goals!
How Does This Resource Make Me A Better Teacher?
• Your time is precious & the standards are plentiful
By integrating across content whenever possible, you save time and your students see connections across the curriculum!
• Differentiated Instruction is no longer optional-it is a must! There is no one-size-fits-all classroom. These passages are an easy way to check that off of your never-ending teacher to-do list!
• Reach your entire class with the same quality content. Each student in your class deserves a fair chance at the content. Let their passion for science and social studies thrive, regardless of their reading ability. While passages appear very similar, I can assure you hours of researching and writing have occurred on my behalf to ensure that each level is appropriate for your learners.
The feedback speaks for itself! Don't listen to us anymore, just go try it and see if it makes a difference in your students!
*Note: a few folks have inquired that passages look the same to the naked eye! (That's the point.) Especially the busy teacher's eye who may not take the time to read sentences and cross-check them with the other variations of the text. Sentence complexity, vocabulary, and the combination of simple, compound, and complex sentences greatly impact the readability of texts. So, although the text looks the same to students (& sometimes even teachers!), we can assure you they have been analyzed to meet the Common Core Reading Standards.
James & Dana
A husband and wife teacher team who love integrating social studies and science into other subjects for diverse elementary classrooms.
Sign up by email for instant updates, news, sneak peeks, & exclusive follower FREEBIES!
Visit My TpT Shop